What is Dzogchen?
Learn more and discover your Dzogchen
meditation practice with Lama Surya Das.
we all are buddhas by nature
We only have to awaken and recognize who we are and how we fit perfectly in this world. This is the teaching of the Innate Great Perfection – Dzogchen.
Introducing us to Dzogchen is the life’s work of Lama Surya Das
What Dzogchen Is
- It is an outlook, a PERSPECTIVE.
- It is simple, effortless, PROFOUND, RELAXING, and IT is right here right now.
- It is empty, open, NATURAL and luminous, the TRUE NATURE OF OUR SPIRITUAL mind.
- It is accessible through moment-to-moment MINDFUL AWARENESS.
- Dzogchen is the Natural Great Perfection.
- Dzgochen is the ultimate teaching of Tibet.
- Dzogchen brings out our intrinsic OPENNESS, ACCEPTANCE and EQUANIMITY.
- The spirit of Dzogchen is joyful and light as well as being a wise outlook and vast perspective.
WHAT DZOGCHEN isn’t
- An attempt at controlling the mind.
- Just ordinary relaxation, clearing away thoughts, or concentration-meditation.
- Based in ritual or dogmatic beliefs.
- A practice that requires “converting” to anything.
- Dzogchen is a mindful addition to any existing practice or religion.
- Object-based focused meditation such as counting breaths, candle-watching or using imagery or sound.
- A Buddhist practice – Dzogchen is a universal practice that pre-dates Buddhism in Tibet.
The hardest thing about Dzoghen is how to pronounce it. (zok-chen)
Lama Surya Das
The American Lama
Lama Surya Das is one of the foremost Western Buddhist meditation teachers and scholars, one of the main interpreters of Tibetan Buddhism in the West, and a leading spokesperson for the emerging American Buddhism. The Dalai Lama affectionately calls him “The American Lama.”
Surya has spent over forty five years studying Tibetan Buddhism with the great masters of Asia, including the
Dalai Lama’s own teachers, and has twice completed the traditional three year Dzoghcen meditation retreat. He is
an authorized lama and lineage holder in the Nyingmapa School of Tibetan Buddhism. He is the founder of the Dzogchen Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Receive 3 free guided dzogchen meditations with instructions from lama surya das
- 1. Clear-Light Meditation
- 2. Natural Meditation
- 3. “Ahh” Meditation
discover your dzogchen
practice with LAMA SURYA DAS BOOKs & retreats
BOOKs & retreats
Complete Daily Program
for Dzogchen Practice
Lama Surya Das leads
Dzogchen MEDITATION retreats around the country, year-round.
All levels are welcome.